Riding a bike is a fun filled activity; it’s just you and your beloved bike who rides across the mushy terrains for cherishing lifelong experiences. Be it an adventurous cruiser ride through off roads or everyday scooter ride to office through congested roads, your two-wheeler is indeed an amazing way to travel everywhere. Although riding a two wheeler is an exciting experience, it is also vulnerable to road accidents. Similarly, external factors such as natural calamities and damages due to third party may cause severe hazards to your life and two-wheeler too. To pay for exorbitant repair costs and deal with accidental damages, you may have to shed a hefty amount. With the rising inflation in India, the costs of spare parts and labour charges have seen a tremendous hike.Even a minor repair or replacing a spare part may also cost you a fortune. To avoid such a scenario and enjoy total peace while riding your two-wheeler, it is advisable to opt for a comprehensive two wheeler insurance cover.
For a hassle-free bike riding experience and security against unforeseen incidents, Two Wheeler Insurance Cover is mandatory. As per Motor Vehicles Act in India, it’s compulsory to opt for third party insurance for your vehicle. However, it’s always recommended to opt for a comprehensive two wheeler insurance for securing your bike totally against accidents, damages, theft, total damage and personal accident.
HDFC ERGO is offering a super saver on scooter insurance which discounts up to 50%. Hurry!! Grab this opportunity now, as HDFC ERGO Scooter insurance starts at just Rs. 949* (T&C apply) for one year cover. Make the most out of this offer and choose HDFC ERGO as your scooter insurance partner for enjoying a worry free ride.
Buy comprehensive protection for your two wheeler against accidental damage and third party liability. Option to buy the bike insurance policy for one, two or three years
Buy Now Know More
Park the worries of not having two wheeler insurance when the cop stops you for up to three years. Covers mandatory third partly liability
Buy NowKnow More
What is two wheeler or bike insurance?
For a hassle-free bike riding experience and security against unforeseen incidents, Two Wheeler Insurance should be taken by all of us. As per Motor Vehicles Act in India, it’s compulsory to have third party insurance for your vehicle. However, it’s always recommended to opt for a comprehensive two wheeler insurance for securing your bike totally against accidents, damages, theft, total damage and personal accident.
How to buy Bike Insurance?
Why HDFC ERGO for two wheeler insurance?
- 24*7 Support
HDFC ERGO offers round the clock support for convenience and a hassle-free experience. You can call us on 1800 2700 700 or write an e-mail to :email@example.com
- Zero Documentation
You need not go through lengthy procedures for buying online two wheeler insurance policy
- Trusted by Millions
With over 75 lakhs happy customers, HDFC ERGO is a recognized brand for taking care of your insurance needs. The brand has been assigned ‘iAAA’rating by ICRA indicating its highest claim paying ability.
- Fair and transparent claim settlement policies
HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance claims are settled with utmost transparency
Benefits of buying online HDFC ERGO Two Wheeler Insurance policy?
- Quick approval
Estimated approval within 24 hours, of vehicle reaching garage
- Cashless claim service
You can avail cashless claim service with over 4800+ authorized network of garages across India.
- No Claim Bonus
You can also avail no claim bonus for every claim free year.
- Buy online for added convenience
Wherever you go, use our mobile app for instant buying.
- Instant Policy
Thanks to paperless documentation and quick approval, you can download your policy document on successful payment of premium.
(All discounts are subject to necessary excess/deductibles as per the terms & conditions)
What gets covered under Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance?
Own Damage Cover
Own damage cover refers to the protection offered by HDFC ERGO Two Wheeler Insurance for any financial loss arising due to the following situations
- Loss or damage due to theft of insured vehicle
- Loss or damage of the insured vehicle in case of accident
- Loss or damage of the insured vehicle due to natural calamities
Third Party Cover
HDFC ERGO offers Third Party Liability Two wheeler Insurance policy offers coverage for your legal liabilities towards third parties for injuries, permanent total disability, death and property damage arising due to any accident involving your vehicle. Our third party insurance policy provides cover against all kinds of vehicles – personal as well as commercial, for worry-free movement on road.
HDFC ERGO third party liability Two wheeler insurance cover also includes the personal accident cover for the owner or driver for accident caused involving the insured vehicle. The owner or driver is insured for Rs. 1 lac to cover cases like accidental death or total disability.
(*For more details on policy inclusions, please refer to the policy wordings)
What does not get covered under Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance?
- Damage caused by driver who doesn’t hold a valid licence
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Damage caused due to intoxication
- Damage caused due to war or related activities
- Consequential loss
*Please note these are illustrative exclusions. For a detailed list, kindly refer the policy wordings)
Two Wheeler Insurance FAQs
1. Why do I need two wheeler insurance?
Buying a two wheeler is an investment that you want to safeguard from any unforeseen risks. A two wheeler insurance would help you in ensuring that you are covered against loss to the vehicle, driver, pillion rider or any third party.
2.What are the different types of two wheeler insurance policies and what are its coverage?
There are two types of policy offerings:
1. Comprehensive policy covers any loss/damage or theft of insured vehicle in addition to covers available under liability only policy.
2. Liability only policy covers risk towards third party property damage or third party injury / death.
3.What are the benefits of buying two wheeler insurance online?
Online insurance gives you the benefit of instant policy issuance with zero documentation. Multiple payment options makes the online process a convenient choice.
4. Which plan should I buy, comprehensive or liability only?
You should always go for comprehensive insurance. While the liability plan covers you against legal liabilities, your two wheeler is not covered by the same. By just spending a bit more you can also insure your two wheeler. And now, you can also cover your vehicle for upto 3 years. So why not pay a bit extra and be worry free.
5.What benefits shall I get on Long Term policy over a single year policy?
We know and understand the stress you feel to ensure renewing your insurance every year. You can forget about the hassle of insuring your two wheeler for up to three years. And when you get multiple benefits and discounts on doing the same, the better. You shall have following benefits over single year policy:
Longer policy duration means “No worry for annual renewals”
NCB protection during policy period irrespective of claim status of your vehicle
You don’t have to pay against annual increase in third party insurance premium
6. How to buy multiyear two wheeler insurance policy?
Simply click here
Fill-in your vehicle details to calculate premium
Select single year, two year and three year policy period
Choose the desired option and proceed to buy policy
Make payment online by using your Credit Card or debit card or online bank account or eWallet
7. How long would it take to get a policy issued?
You will get your policy immediately. You will be able to download your policy right after payment while buying the policy online. In addition, your policy will also be sent to your registered email ID.
8. What is my two wheeler policy period?
The tenure of your policy is simply the duration of insurance covering your two-wheeler. For example, if you take a single year policy, the policy tenure would be of one year. For a three year policy, not only are you covered for up to three years hassle free, but also avail various benefits and discounts.
9. What addons are available on my two wheeler policy
1. Zero depreciation cover. which provides you to claim the full cost of replacing vehicle parts damaged in accidents without having to pay from your pocket.
2. Emergency Road assistance: provides you services like refueling, towing, change of flat tyre, arranging for a mechanic's services
10. What will happen when the policy holder sells his bike?
Once an insured vehicle is sold, a written intimation needs to be provided intimating the same to the insurance company. The insured has the following options;
1. Transfer name in existing policy
2. Cancellation of existing policy if the new owner has bought a new policy for himself and seek refund of the premium for remaining part of the policy tenure on prorated basis.
3. You could request to reserve the NCB from your policy for using it on your new vehicle in future for upto 3 years from the date of sale.
11. How do I transfer/insure my newly acquired second hand two wheeler?
In case you are buying a used two wheeler from a third party, you may either have to transfer the policy on the said vehicle into your name or you may have to buy a new policy if the vehicle is uninsured.
From a seller’s perspective
After the transfer of the vehicle, the seller needs to inform us about the sale so as to get the NCB certificate for the vehicle sold.
From a buyer’s perspective:
A buyer of a second hand vehicle needs to transfer the insurance policy to their own name. To start the process of insurance policy transfer, please submit the purchase proof along with the policy transfer form (download here) and provide the required documents
12. What is a No Claim Bonus (NCB)?
NCB is a discount in the Own Damage premium payable when renewing your policy after a claim-free year. It is an incentive for driving carefully and avoiding accidents.
| All types of Vehicles with no claim made or pending during the previous: || NCB% on own damage premium for one year policy |
| 1 full year of insurance || 20% |
| 2 consecutive years of insurance || 25% |
| 3 consecutive years of insurance || 35% |
| 4 consecutive years of insurance || 45% |
| 5 consecutive years of insurance || 50% |
13. What is NCB benefit in a multi-year policy?
To understand this better let’s take an example:
Suppose you purchased a 1 year policy and during which you had to take a claim due to an accident. When you renew the next year, you would not be getting NCB discount as you have taken a claim and thus your premium would increase. In case of a multi-year policy, you get the NCB benefit for the entire policy period be it two or three years even if you take any claim in between.You will not be asked for additional premium during the policy tenure. This results in substantial savings and thus is very beneficial. This is one of the most important reason one should purchase a multi-year policy. At the end of the tenure of the policy, the insured is liable to get the next NCB slab based on the number of years no claim has been taken.
14. How is the value of the vehicle (IDV - Insured Declare Value) calculated?
Insured declared value (IDV) of your vehicle is calculated basis the manufacturer’s listed selling price. For a new vehicle the IDV would be 95% of ex-showroom price. For subsequent years, the depreciation would be as listed in the table below. The registration and insurance costs are not included in the IDV. For accessories, which are not factory-fitted, IDV is calculated separately at an extra cost if insurance is required for them as well.
The Depreciation schedule of a two-wheeler is as follows:
| Plan || Annual Premium |
| If it is not older than six months || 5% |
| Exceeding 6 months, but less than 1 year || 15% |
| Exceeding 1 years but less than 2 years || 20% |
| Exceeding 2 years but less than 3 years || 30% |
| Exceeding 3 years but less than 4 years || 40% |
| Exceeding 3 years but less than 4 years || 50% |
If your vehicle is 5-years or older, IDV would depend on the serviceable condition and also the state of its body parts.
In case your bike is an obsolete model, its IDV will be determined by a mutual agreement between the insurance company and you. Some companies have a practice of referring to surveyors for arriving at IDV, which leads to additional cost that has to be borne by you.
15. What is endorsement and how do I make changes (also known as endorsement) to my policy?
Endorsement means any request for change or corrections related to registration of vehicle, vehicle details, personal details or financier details in the current insurance policy. An endorsement is a document supplementary to the current policy certifying the changes requested. Click here to make changes to your policy.
16. What if my two wheeler insurance policy is misplaced?
Click here to get a duplicate copy of your policy.
17. Can the Owner of the bike also be insured under the same policy?
The Owner of the two wheeler may be covered under the compulsory personal accident cover where vehicle is registered in the name of an individual for a maximum sum insured of INR 1 lacs, provided he/she has an effective and valid driving license.
18. What are the factors that determine the premium for Two Wheelers?
The premium of your vehicle depends upon:-
1. Age of the vehicle
2. IDV or sum insured (Value of your two-wheeler)
3. Place of vehicle registration
4. Cubic capacity of the engine
5. Policy tenure
6. No claim bonus
19. What are the discounts that can be allowed under Two Wheeler policies?
There are discounts based on eligibility of each customer which may be availed like Automobile Association of India membership. Secondly, the customer is eligible for no claim bonus which is given based on the number of years the claims are not taken.
20. What is the scope and cover offered in a two wheeler insurance policy?
HDFC ERGO will protect you against any loss or damage to the two wheeler and its accessories during the following events:
1. Fire explosion self-ignition or pghtning
2. Burglary housebreaking or theft
3. Riot and strike
4. Earthquake (fire and shock damage)
5. Flood typhoon hurricane storm tempest inundation cyclone hailstorm frost
6. Accidental external means – These are damages caused to vehicle when not in use. For example, in case a tree falls on your vehicle, thereby damaging the vehicle.
7. Mapcious act– Any damage caused by mapcious activity by a third person. For example, someone knowingly any part of your two-wheeler.
8. Terrorist activity
9. Whilst in transit by road rail inland-waterway pft elevator or air
10. Landspde rockspde
21. What are the types of events or losses not covered under two wheeler insurance?
The following events or losses are not covered in this policy:
1. Mechanical/ Electrical breakdown
2. Wear and tear, ageing of vehicle
4. Depberate accidental loss
5. Intoxicated driving
6. Consequential loss
7. Damage to/ by a person driving any vehicle without a vapd pcense
22. My existing policy has expired! What to do?
Simply click here and buy policy instantly, without any hassle of documentation.
23. What is Personal Accident Insurance cover for unnamed/named passengers?
Personal Accident Insurance covers death or disability caused due an unfortunate accident. The motor insurance policy essentially has a Personal Accident cover for the owner-driver, as per tariff, for which no extra premium is to be paid. For a person other than the owner and driver, the Personal Accident cover has to be purchased separately by paying an additional premium. The amount paid as compensation depends upon the extent of cover opted for Named passenger cover is valid for passengers which are known such as parents, wife, children etc. Unnamed passenger cover is valid for any passenger riding on your two-wheeler, known or unknown.
24. What is Third Party Liability cover?
Getting third-party insurance is mandatory for your bike. In case of an accident, you might be legally and financially liable to the third party. Third Party Liability cover is for insuring for any such liability. However, keep in mind, it doesn’t cover any damages to your bike.
25. Is it possible to cancel my Two Wheeler Insurance?
Yes, it is possible to cancel the policy. The policy can be cancelled during the policy period as well. When cancelling the two wheeler insurance policy one has to be careful with the below pointers:
One can cancel the popcy only if no claims are made on the insured vehicle during the running popcy term
There should be an alternate coverage, at least for third party pabipty and same should be produced as documentary evidence to support the insurance cover
For ownership transfer cases, one cannot cancel the existing popcy unless documentary evidence of alternative arrangement is provided
26. What is the procedure of cancelling two wheeler insurance policy?
The insured owner has to provide a notice of 7 days to the insurer in writing, that they want to cancel their policy. The detailed steps are as below:
1. Contact us either via phone/email stating your intention to cancel the popcy
2. Follow the procedure as suggested and notify the same officially in writing within 7 days
3. Provide documentary evidence of a different popcy in case you have popcy of different insurer
4. Send the copy of your new insurance either through mail/fax to us
5. A minimum premium of INR100* will be retained by us and the balance will be refunded based on short period basis as per the timepnes
6. INR25 in case of two wheelers designed/or modified for vehicles owned by bpnd/handicapped/mentally challenged owners
27. What is legal liability to paid driver?
Legal liability to paid driver covers the insured against any legal liability towards a paid driver in case of injury or bodily harm to the driver caused in the service of the insured.
28. What is the process for obtaining Third Party only cover?
To buy third party insurance for your two wheeler, please click here
29. How to register a claim?
In case of any issues, you may call our customer care toll free number on 1800 2700 700 (Accessible from India only).
30. What is the difference between Cashless Claim and Non-cashless/ Reimbursement claim?
For cashless claim after completion of repair, the bill amount of the vehicle is directly paid to the garage by HDFC ERGO. The customer has to pay a small amount in the form of deductible and does not have to worry about the entire expense.
31. What is 'compulsory deduction/deductible' under Two Wheeler Insurance?
Compulsory deductible is an amount payable by the insured for each and every own damage claim. The amount is INR 100/- per claim.
32. When should I report an incident to the police?
In case of any accident, third party property damage, any Injury to self or third party or theft, one should report the incident to the nearest police station as early as possible.
33. What all documents are required to file a claim?
In case of accidental damages claim, you need to provide the following documents:
1. Claim Form
2. Copy of the Registration Book
3. Copy of the driving pcense of the person driving at the time of accident
4. FIR, if accident reported to the popce
5. Insurance Popcy Copy
6. Estimate of repairs
34. Where can I find a list of garages where I can avail Cashless service?
Please click here to view the current list of our network garages.
35. How to get cheap insurance for bikes?
You can look for two-wheeler insurance online and compare policies to get cheap insurance cover for bikes.
36. Is two wheeler insurance mandatory in India?
Yes,it is only Third Party which is mandatory as per MV Act.
37. How to get two wheeler insurance for 3 years?
You may go a for Long Term Two Wheeler insurance policy which is easily available online. Under this policy, you protect your NCB and do not have the hassle to renew the policy for the next 3 years.
38. Which is the best insurance policy for two wheelers?
It’s better to buy a comprehensive insurance policy, which will protect your vehicle against