We all know how uncertain life is, it is prudent to be prepared than to repent later. You would have heard of stories of how people were caught unawares when they or their near and dear ones were diagnosed with Cancer, or had heart attack/stroke and many such unheard medical terms. Critical illness, as the name suggests, refers to illnesses or diseases that can impact you deeply and could be life threatening as well. These illnesses may create physical and emotional imbalance. If an individual suffers from any of these critical illnesses, he or she may not be able to lead a normal lifestyle. This may lead to loss of income and create financial insecurity in family. For treating a critical illness, you have to bear a lot of medical expenses and for meeting such exorbitant expenses you may end up draining your savings. To avoid hampering lifelong savings and combat against financial short comings for medical treatment, HDFC ERGO presents Critical Illness Insurance Policy. This policy offers lump-sum compensation in one single transaction to cover costs incurred during medical treatment. It’s beneficial to have critical illness plan over and above your existing health plan for a wider cover. Being a benefit plan, you get the lump-sum amount is one transaction on the first diagnosis. This amount can be used by you for further treatment, to pay off debts if any, or to maintain a financial balance in life due to loss of income.
HDFC ERGO Critical Illness Insurance offers different Plans for covering maximum illnesses.
Critical Illness insurance is a unique plan that offers Lump Sum disbursement of the Sum Insured amount to the insured person on first diagnosis of the below listed critical illnesses after a survival period of 30 days:
| Critical Illness Insurance Policies |
|Silver ||Platinum |
|Heart Attack ||Heart Attack |
|Multiple Sclerosis ||Multiple Sclerosis |
|Stroke ||Stroke |
|Cancer ||Cancer |
|Major Organ Transplantation ||Major Organ Transplantation |
|Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery ||Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery |
|Paralysis ||Paralysis |
| Kidney failure ||Kidney failure |
| ||Aorta Graft Surgery |
| ||Primary Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension |
| ||Heart Valve Replacement |
| ||Parkinson's Disease |
| ||Alzheimer's Disease |
| ||End Stage Liver Disease |
| ||Benign Brain Tumor |
Benefits of Critical Illness Insurance In India
- 1. Provides lump-sum benefit on diagnosis of any of the listed Critical Illnesses
- 2. This amount can be used for
- a. Care and treatment
- b. Recuperation aids
- c. Paying off debts, if any
- d. Any lost income due to a decreasing ability to earn
- e. Change in lifestyle
- 3. It offers tax benefits under Section 80D
Exclusion for Critical Illness Plan
- War or any act of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, war like operations
- Criminal or unlawful act, or intentional self-injury or attempted suicide while sane or insane
- Participation or involvement in naval, military or air force operation, racing, diving, aviation, scuba diving, parachuting, hang-gliding, rock or mountain climbing
- Intoxicating drugs and alcohol
- Venereal disease, "AIDS” (Acquired Immune deficiency Syndrome) and/or infection with HIV
- Any treatment arising from pregnancy (including voluntary termination), miscarriage, maternity or birth (including caesarean section)
For a complete list of exclusions, kindly refer the policy wordings
"Note: The content is descriptive only. For actual coverage, kindly refer the policy document."
(T&C apply. For detailed information on exclusion, please refer the policy wordings.)
* Pre-policy medical tests charges would be borne by Us for all accepted cases. For cases that get rejected, 50% of the medical test charges will be deducted from the premium refund.
Buy Now Renew Online
- Why do I need a Critical Illness Insurance?
Here are some of the points to consider while purchasing this cover.
- If you have a history of critical illness in your family
- Once crossed the age of 40, you should seriously consider a critical illness plan given the time and age a person may live
- Gives you an additional financial support in case you are diagnosed with an ailment of this nature.
- Why do I need a Critical Illness Insurance plan?
HDFC ERGOs Critical Illness policy offers you and your family an addition financial support for the time of diagnosis of an ailment of this nature. The plan provides a lump sum amount that can be used for paying off for the costs incurred during treatment and care, recuperation aids and debts. The policy provides funds for a change in the lifestyle and in case of any lost income due to decreasing ability of insured person to earn.
- What is the advantage of a “benefit policy”?
Under the “benefit policy”, in case the insured person suffers from any one of the 8 critical illnesses as mentioned in the plan, shall be paid a lump sum amount for care and treatment by the insurance company.
- What are the critical illnesses covered in the policy?
Under this policy, the following illnesses are covered:-
- Heart attack
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Major Organ Transplantation
- Kidney Failure
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- What are the plans available under this?
There are a number of plans available under this policy. One can choose from Sum Insured ranging from Rs. 2,50,000 to Rs, 10,00,000.
- What is the eligibility criteria for purchasing the policy?
Individuals under the age group of 5 years to 45 years are eligible for purchasing the policy. The plan also covers children between the age of 5 years to 18 years, only when both the parents are also insured under the policy.
- Do I need to undergo any medical tests to enroll myself for the policy?
No pre policy check is required for people under the age of 45 years subject to no health adversity.
- What kind of documents do I need to furnish for buying the policy?
All you need to do is submit a duly signed proposal form with relevant details. Choose the Sum Insured as per your budget and make payment via cheque or credit card details in the form.
- Do I get any tax benefits under this policy?
Yes, you can avail tax exemption up to an amount of Rs. 15,000 under “Section 80D”. If you are a senior citizen, you can avail tax benefit up to an amount of Rs. 20,000 under “Section 80D”.
- Is there a permit for making multiple claims for same or any other critical illness as listed in the scheme?
No, you are only allowed to make one claim during the life of the policy.
- How to apply for a claim and what documents have to be submitted during claim settlement?
If you want to life for a claim, please immediately intimate HDFC ERGO on our helpline number. On intimation we would register and assign you a unique claim settlement number which would be used for all further communications.
The insured person needs to submit the following documents for processing claim settlement within 45 days from the intimation date.
- Complete claim form
- Original discharge summary
- Relevant treatment papers or consultation notes
- Relevant medical reports along with supporting invoices and requisition from doctor advising the same
- Original hospitalization bills along with final detailed bill summary
- Pharmacy bills attached with prescriptions
- Other relevant documents that may be required by HDFC ERGO
- Can I purchase a policy online?
Yes, with HDFC ERGO you can buy an insurance policy online. You can compare different policies available with us and choose the right one for you and your family.